Monday, September 17, 2007

Lazy vs. Irresponsible

Photo by H. Marsh

I saw one of our neighbors out riding her bicycle the other day. She was wearing a helmet, so I didn't recognize her right away. I haven't actually met her, but I've watched her training her puppy to walk on leash, so I've come to feel that I know her a little bit. She's done a very good job training the dog. When I see her, it makes me happy to know that her dog is living a very good life. And then I start to feel guilty about our dogs, who don't go on walks very often and don't get nearly the amount of love and attention that they used to get before Little Omi was born. So when I saw this woman riding her bike and wearing a helmet, I thought, Good for her! Of course she wears a helmet! She's a very responsible gal!

This got me to thinking, what is the difference between being lazy and being irresponsible? I tell myself that I am a lazy dog owner, but am I actually an irresponsible dog owner? And is there a difference? One thing is clear to me: when I became a mother, several things about me that I used to chalk up to "lazy" moved into the "irresponsible" category. For instance, if I don't floss my teeth, which sounds lazy except when you consider that not flossing can actually shorten one's life span, thereby possibly putting my child in danger of becoming an orphan. Suddenly, not flossing starts to sound irresponsible. There are a ton of other examples. Not exercising. Not eating healthfully. And so on, and so on. Suddenly, I've realized that my previous lazy self must now contend with the label "irresponsible" or, worse still, "irresponsible mother." I don't like that one bit. And when I start to think that I may be passing this laziness-turned-irresponsibility on to Little Omi, my stomach turns.

New motto: I must be a responsible adult. (Repeat 500 times.)

5 comments:

Streak said...

I hate to make my first comment on your lovely and thoughtful blog a disagreement, but I cannot even think of you as irresponsible. The word does not enter my vocabulary for either of you. I think "thoughtful," "responsible," "amazing friends" and "great people."

But never irresponsible.

:)

weave and spin said...

Perhaps being a less than perfect dog owner means being a more responsible mother?

Small Glimpses said...

I agree with Streak and Megan. Your loving concern to your family and friends is so evident. As Streak said "irresponsible" is not a word that comes to mind when we think of you. We also know how much you care about the environment and how much concern your have for this country. You are a great mom and you have good instincts about motherhood. Attempting to be super-mom, super-wife, super-dog owner, super-volunteer, super-seamstress, just distracts from the wonderful mom, wife, dog owner, volunteer, and seamstress that you really are. You are the best!

Anonymous said...

Ditto the above comments...who flosses anyway except when they've eaten corn or bbq or a have a nagging popcorn kernel caught between their teeth? :)

Anonymous said...

I first started to floss about five years ago after reading an article at my dentist about a link between heart disease and bad gums, flossers don't have anywhere near the risk of heart attack. The trick is to find a place and time where you aren't doing anything else with your hands, preferably sitting. Just guess where I do mine!

Related Posts with Thumbnails