Friday, September 28, 2007

Flashback Friday: Double dose


The theme for this week's Flashback Friday is "Your and your pet!" Hooray!

We had some wonderful pets when I was growing up. In these photos you get to meet Dot and Jersey. Dot was a Welsh Corgi whose full name was Dotwyn Evenstar (oh yes, my parents were total Tolkien nerds, so I come by it honestly—before Dot, we had two Skye Terriers named Bifur and Mithral Muggins.) In this photo Dot is a bit of an adolescent, just growing into those big ears. When she was sleepy, her ears would sink further down on either side of her head and we would call her "Yoda ears." The other bit I love about this photo is the crazy lavender feathery clip I've chosen to adorn my hat. Does anybody else remember these? I think they were like rabbit's foot keychains—you could only get them at fairs and carnivals.

The second photo is of my sister and our cat Jersey. Jersey was older than me, which was always difficult for me to wrap my brain around, but I knew to always gave him proper respect. He wasn't a real lovey-dovey type of cat. I remember trying to touch his soft little pink toes when he was sleeping because he'd never let me do that when he was awake. My sister was most likely sick when this was taken; in our house you got to lie on the sofa with your pillow and a nice quilt* and watch TV all day when you stayed home from school.

These photos really bring back some wonderful memories and serious nostalgia for our childhood home. Thanks, Fiona, for the wonderful theme!


*And your binkie. If you look closely at her shoulder, you can see the lovingly frayed edges of Blue-Ba, my sister's baby blanket.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you have to reveal the truth about Blue Ba? Couldn't you have just let people think that at 12 I slept with a dirty cleaning rag?
:)

Kimberly said...

Love the corgi pic!!

Streak said...

It's true. Prior to the clarification, I just assumed you were sleeping with a dirty cleaning rag--as was the custom of the time.

:)

Cherryskin said...

Awwwwwww! Trying to touch Jersey's soft pink toes when he was sleeping...awwwwwww. :-)

Small Glimpses said...

I love both pics. So good to see your sister!! By the way what is "sister" in Japanese?

Yesterday I was petting Calvin and noticed his soft pink toes and I thought of your blog post. It made me smile.

Okie Okasan said...

Big sister= onesan (o-NAY-san)
little sister= imouto (ee-MO-u-to)

:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails