Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Bend the rules

I picked up a copy of Amy Karol's Bend-the-Rules Sewing a few weeks ago, but I haven't had a chance to try out any of the patterns until now. This little turtle is my second attempt at making soft toys, and let me just say, I don't think I'm quite up to a third attempt just yet. I think I need to gain a bit more patience before I give it another go. Plus, I'm very bad at following written instructions. I grew up on Lego instructions, which are in my book the pinnacle of all instructions, and so I appreciate well-thought-out and very clear directions. For some reason, whenever I'm reading written instructions and I don't understand something, I automatically assume they are wrong, and then I plow ahead doing what I think is right. This often ends in disaster, or at least having to go back and really concentrate on each sentence to figure out what it means.

Overall, I love the book. The projects are all really cute and snappy. Just don't try to learn how to tie a French knot from the poorly-drawn picture at 12:45 a.m. while your husband is trying to soothe your baby back to sleep!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails