Friday, October 5, 2007

Flashback Friday: Nanna technology


This week's theme, from Kirsty, is devoted to our wonderful crafty grandmothers and what they taught us.

The first photo is of my dad's side of the family. My memory is that we all got together for Thanksgiving, although I'm not sure why I am wearing a green shamrock pin on my cardigan! There's my grandma in the red jacket. We only got to see my dad's parents once a year, so there wasn't a lot of time for her to pass along too many crafty skills, although I do remember going shopping for miniatures with her and making some fun sequin-covered styrofoam Easter eggs one year. I also received my all-time favorite t-shirt from this grandma. It read: "anything boys can do girls can do better." She's a mad quilter now, and she made Little Omi the most amazing Sunbonnet Sue baby quilt using fabrics that belonged to her grandmother. (I'll try to post pics of the quilt tomorrow.) She has definitely inspired me in my sewing and quilting pursuits!

The second pic is of my mom, sister, mom's folks, and me participating in a protest demonstration against a big sign that was erected one summer along the highway that passes through Allenspark, Colorado. The sign completely blocked the scenic view of the mountains, and so one of the local residents cut it down. Our t-shirts are in support of this woman, dubbed "Chainsaw Maggie." There hasn't been a sign in that location ever since. My mom's mother was a bit of an activist, and even served as our town's first woman mayor. She died when I was only 7, so I didn't get to learn any crafting at her knee, although she was a knitter and she sewed. In fact, it is her Bernina that I have been using to sew all the sunbonnets and other projects I've posted here, so I like to think there's a part of her in all of the things I make.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos. Go Girls with those signs. Great story.

whit said...

Love your stories with the photos this week. Such different experiences with your grandmas, and I love that you are using one of their Berninas. That makes it all the more special.

Related Posts with Thumbnails