Saturday, October 20, 2007

Flashback Friday: Pop's Spot*


This week we recognize our dear fathers, and I have to admit I've been waiting for this one. I just happen to have a ton of great images already scanned from a project I made for my dad's 60th birthday. These are probably the best of the bunch because they contain so much information, even though I don't really remember when they were taken (the year was 1977, so I was 3).

On this particular evening, my sister and I were all cuddled up in dad's lap, reading a Richard Scarry book, totally engrossed. Can you guess what was just out of the frame to the left? The TV. My parents, along with the rest of the country, were watching the miniseries Roots. My sister wrote about this photo later when she was in high school, and she remembers the scene where Levar Burton is saying "My name is Kunta Kinte." She also recalls that all I was saying was, "Reeeead!"

Other things to look for in the photos: My crooked bangs, growing out from the time my sister decided to cut them completely off; my mom's spinning wheel; and the reflection of the coolest light fixture ever, seen also in the photo below as my dad is standing just inches away from where the rocking chair used to be!

Here's one to illustrate a bit of my dad's crafty side. This is from 1984 and we're going to a Sting concert on Halloween night. My dad is dressed as Vyvyan from The Young Ones. As I recall, he made the costume all by himself, only needing help using gelatin to make his hair stand up from my then-teenaged sister. He affixed the metal stars to his forehead using hot glue!



* I just discovered that "Pop" means "grandfather" at Flashback Friday. What a faux pas! (har) I guess I've been reading Hop on Pop a little too much lately. I will do a make-up post to celebrate my pop, or, grandpa, as we say in my neck of the woods.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

And how does dad feel about you posting that pic!? Hilarious!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking as I was reading you post that you had it wrong, but we love your photos anyway.
I agree with Kimberly, does Dad know you have this photo on your blog??

whit said...

What great stories behind these pictures! I also did a post about my "pop" not knowing it was the grandpa kind.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, Dad knows; but since he used to have a poster sized shot of this picture in his classroom (he taught sixth grade for years, and since this was the costume he wore to school that Halloween, you'll know him for the major ham he is!! Also, she left out the fact that in the contest for the best costume at the Sting concert, he lost out (barely) to a female flasher. Boo!

Okie Okasan said...

I couldn't figure out how to accurately describe the costume contest and the female flasher without going into greater detail! But I have vivid memories of that contest and was sure you would win!

Related Posts with Thumbnails