Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Golden countdown

photo credit: Laurie Sparham/New Line Cinema
The movie version of the Phillip Pullman novel The Golden Compass opens December 7, and Big Omi and I are so excited to go. My dad originally recommended the book, which is part of the His Dark Materials trilogy, when we were visiting him way back in 2001. Without going into a lengthy book review, I'll just say it's the only book I've ever owned that I've given away to a friend who expressed interest in reading it, because I just hoped someone else would read it so we could talk about how great it is.

While I was somewhat worried when I read there would be a movie version, I have to say after seeing the trailer that I'm totally on board. Nicole Kidman is going to make a perfect Mrs. Coulter, the icy villainess/mother figure to our plucky heroine, Lyra. Plus, Ian McKellan as the voice of the armored bear Iorek Byrnison! Sam Elliott as cowboy-hot-air-balloon-aviator Lee Scoresby! Hooray! Even Daniel Craig as Lord Asriel isn't too bad, even though I imagined him to be darker. I guess Daniel Craig is reinventing dark-haired characters one by one.

P.S. Check out that beautiful bonnet on Lyra. I'm excited for the costumes in this movie, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah,
I've been waiting with "Worm on Tongue" (as Mork used to say) for this one. The casting looks great but there is already some controversy swirling around over the anti-religious element. Pullman was up here the other day giving interviews. No one seems to have tumbled onto the fact that its all based on Milton's Paradise Lost!? Dec. 7 is marked in my calendar!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails