Friday, November 2, 2007

Flashback Friday: My stylish mom

My mom is one of the most stylish people I know. And how hard can it be to look stylish with you've got such perfect eyebrows? Not only can she put together a beautiful outfit for herself, complete with the perfect dangling earrings, she's always decorated her home so amazingly well, too. Alas, I can only aspire to be so stylish in my own appearance and home. Somehow I didn't get those genes (nor the eyebrows).


But my own memories of my mom don't have that much to do with her style as they do with all the wonderful things we did together when I was little, like playing Legos on the floor of our living room, gardening (well, she gardened while I mostly just pulled up baby carrots or wandered around eating the all the tips off the asparagus), taking walks to collect pretty autumn leaves, or making peanut-butter balls and orange juice pops (and eating them, too!).


And to top it off, she's quite crafty, too. I loved to watch her weave on her big loom, or spin yarn or knit or sew. I can remember clearly the sound of the shuttle zooming across the warp threads and the way the heddle rods would shake when she pulled the beater down on the weft. And the sound of her metal knitting needles clicking together—heavenly. I've mentioned before how she made the all the dresses for our My Friends dolls' wedding. When she was at her sewing machine I loved to sort through all the patterns or play with the fancy weights she used for holding down the pattern on the fabric while she cut it.

My goal in staying home with Little Omi is not only to give her the best foundation she can possibly get to start her life, but to create with her some wonderful memories like these. Love you, Mom!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos again this week.
Gotta love that matching red scarf.
How great to have a photo of her and her loom.

Small Glimpses said...

How fun to see pictures of your mom. She looks great (and still does). I've heard about the loom and it's so cool to see her weaving.

btw...when I got to the end of your post I had tears in my eyes (you keep doing this to me). We love you mom, too! She's been a special and important person in Steak's and my life both individually and together.

I have no doubt that Little Omi will develop into a delightfully smart, caring and committed person, just like her mother and grandmother.

Here's to your mom...and a stylish one at that!!!

Streak said...

Great photos (again) and your mom sure is stylish. I too love the loom photo.

BTW, who says you don't have that gene? Stylish? I think you might also qualify.

Anonymous said...

I love you too. I have been blessed with my two girls who have made my parenting job wonderfully easy and lots of fun. Thank you for your very sweet words. They will stay near to my heart as you do.

whit said...

Your mom sounds amazing, I have no doubt that you are making the same impressions on little Omi.

Related Posts with Thumbnails