Sunday, November 11, 2007

Flashback Friday: All in the Family

So, I've been a bit behind on my blog posts this week due to large amounts of scary editing that I am turning in today. This is why I'm running my Flashback Friday photo on a Sunday afternoon.

The FF theme for this week is All in the Family, suggested by Hyena in Petticoats. Here's the only formal family portrait that I'm aware of from before 1985 (and thank God the FF rules say pics must be from before 1985, because there's another formal portrait from the 90s that is just horrible. But enough about that!). I like to call this one the Sunshine Family photo, after the 1970s hippified Barbie-alternative dolls we also had and played with a lot. Favorite bits of this photo include:
  1. My sister's braids. AWESOME.
  2. My dad's hair flipping out on the side, echoed by my own hair flipping out in the exact same way.
  3. My dad's Western shirt. He had a whole collection of these, all with wonderful mother-of-pearl snaps instead of buttons.
  4. My mom's shaded lenses and velour dress. YES!
I'm also going to have to check with my mom to see if she still has these two little girl dresses in her stash of Precious Baby Clothes (that's what it says on the outside of the box) because they are too cute. Can you even remember the last time you saw a Pooh-themed dress that wasn't in pastels?

6 comments:

Mymsie said...

What a great pic and those dresses - too cute! I love 70s colors.

Cherryskin said...

Yep -- lots of goodness in that photo! Love your sister's dress, and that is so sweet that your mum has the box with "precious baby clothes"! Awwwww!

Anonymous said...

My only question: What are we all looking at? I know, I know that sentence ends with a preposition...

Anonymous said...

Let's see, the best I can recall, this is an Olin Mills or Sears Family Portrait. I think you can see the portrait studio's name on the lower right of the photo, but I can't quite make it out. I think they used a stuffed animal to get the kiddos all looking in the right direction. Notice that that's where I'm looking as well! Oh well. I wish I still had all my old "snap" shirts, your Grandma June (and mom) had them hand made in Boulder! They'd be worth a fortune on eBay... My hair still sticks out that way.

Anonymous said...

Mom's shirt is NOT velour--it is cotton velvet!

Anonymous said...

I think this is such an incredibly cute family photo!! Thanks for sharing! Love, Lolo

Related Posts with Thumbnails