Thursday, August 16, 2007

Two excellent books



We have two new favorite books in our house. Little Omi is absolutely in love with Taro Gomi's Where's the Fish? It's a very basic Where's Waldo-type book from the author of such classics as Everyone Poops and Spring Is Here. I was quite surprised to see Omi-chan point out the fish on every page on the very first read. Of course Big Omi (my husband) and I decided she must be the most brilliant 15-month-old ever. (This is quite similar to the time we visited the pediatrician for her regular shots-and-measurements check-up and her head circumference was in the 99th percentile. We were practically popping buttons with pride over our daughter's enormous noggin.)

Anne Lamott's Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year is my new love. I read the first 100 pages yesterday while Little Omi napped beside me, and I had to stifle my laughter every few minutes just to keep from jostling her awake. Lamott's writing is so conversational, humorous, and so very, very honest. She reveals her deepest, darkest thoughts with such refreshing openness that it makes you feel better about the times you wanted to throw the baby on the dung heap just so you could get some sleep or read more than a few bleeping pages of Harry Potter in one go. I almost hesitated to post about this book because reading it is like spending time with a wonderful new girlfriend that you don't want to share with any of your other friends in case she likes one of them better than you, or a really great band that you love but secretly hope doesn't become too successful so you can always be cool for liking them. Having gotten over that feeling, I have to say I highly recommend this book to any mother, especially those who have just made it through that first special year.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails