Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Day of firsts



Today was the first time I got to use the reusable grocery bags that I ordered after reading Amy Karol's post on plastics and finally deciding I need to take charge and phase out the plastic in our lives. I used them at the farmer's market this morning (corn, plums, tiny cherry tomatoes, basil, and fresh eggs) and then at the grocery store this afternoon (pine nuts, parmesan cheese, parsley—can you guess what we had for dinner?). It was actually easier to use the bags at the grocery store; the folks there were pretty impressed by the design of the bags. The farmers were so in the groove of stuffing everything into a plastic bag that I actually had to remove some of my produce and give the bags back.

At dinner, Little Omi ate tomatoes for the first time. We were so proud of her. Lately she has developed a bit of a picky streak, but today she was up for trying everything, then shaking or nodding her head depending on whether she liked the food or not. After the first bite of tomato, she raised her eyebrows and said, "Mmm!" Then she ate about 8 more.

1 comment:

Small Glimpses said...

I loved your photo. It's beautiful. Thanks also for the tip on bags. We'll have to take a look. My oldest sister goes to the Farmers Market in her home town every Saturday. When I went to visit this summer we went to the farmer's market together and we had a blast.

I had a "awe how cute" moment when I thought of little Omi eating the tomatoes in her new shoes. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails