Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Making it happen

Every summer I tell myself that this will be the year I make regular trips to the farmer's market, and every summer I completely forget to go. Until this year. I'm sure part of the reason I've started to make a habit out of going has to do with wanting to feed my daughter (let's call her "Little Omi") delicious fresh vegetables, and part of it has to do with wanting to eat locally and lower our carbon footprint, blah, blah, blah. But mostly I think it helps to break up the monotony of the week. Wednesday mornings are particularly wonderful at the market, because it's so small and not too crowded. Saturdays are more exciting, with the hustle and bustle of the crowd, all the flower vendors, and often there are big animals to be seen (A couple of weeks ago there was a horse show! Very impressive to the little girl who has only seen dogs and cats up close.).

Here's hoping that this is the start of a trend in my life: making it happen. Getting off my duff and actually doing the things I've been saying I would do for years now.

I bought these zinnias last Saturday—don't they just shout summer? Today we picked up some fresh tomatoes, okra, and an acorn squash. I was always intimidated by the big squashes until I read in The Joy of Cooking that we could microwave acorn squash. Who knew? Just pierce the skin a few times and pop it in the microwave (I put it on a plate first) for 3 minutes, then turn it over and give it another 3 minutes. When it's done, slice it in half, scoop out the insides (discarding the seeds), mash it with a fork and toss a little butter and nutmeg on top. Delicious and quick enough to have at lunchtime or as a last-minute vegetable at dinner.

1 comment:

Small Glimpses said...

Hey! Welcome to the blogging world. I'm smiling thinking about you and the little one at the farmers market. B and I will have to try some acorn squash! Great idea.

Looking forward to reading more on Okie Okasan. I'm adding you to my blogroll (but no pressure, just have fun).

aka SOF (Streak's Other Friend)

Related Posts with Thumbnails