Friday, December 14, 2007

Flashback Friday: Kid crafters

When I was growing up, my mom was an avid knitter. In this photo, my sister and I have just learned to knit and we are diligently working on our first projects. I am pretty sure mine was going to be a Barbie scarf. I am also pretty sure I never finished it, and I never knitted again! Too bad, because now I wish I could whip up some cute little sweaters for Little Omi. What I love about this photo is the looks of concentration on our faces, and the look of pride on my mother's face. I wanted to include this photo of her today, too, because it's her birthday! Happy birthday, Mom!

This photo is from that magical Christmas we spent in Colorado. I've been dreaming about it lately, trying to get into the Christmas spirit this year. Freezing rain and falling tree limbs just don't quite compare with quiet, deep snow and cozy nights knitting by the fire.

n.b.: Fans of previous Flashback Friday posts might recognize the blue booties my sister is wearing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

But you probably don't remember the feeling of abject terror as we drove through Denver past abandoned cars and trucks and on across eastern Colorado and Kansas, watching cars wipe out onto the centre meridian! It was a great Christmas, though, with all the snow. Did we go over to the ski jump and ride inner tubes down yelling "Grit your teeth"?

Anonymous said...

I still have those nice fat wooden knitting needles whenever you are ready! Thanks for the birthday wishes. Was that the year we read Laura Ingalls Wilder's The Long Winter? Brrr.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea I wore those slippers so much!

And no, we did not ride inner tubes down the "ski jump" (our back hill)--we rode actual sleds with metal runners...made for quite the landing as I recall.

My main memory is being called out in to Mom and Dad's room early Christmas morning where everyone was looking at a herd of elk, but because I didn't have on my *enormous* glasses I was just looking at a bush saying "what's everyone so excited about?"

Anonymous said...

By the ski jump, I mean the actual ski jump over by the Street's cabin near Grandma and Grandpa's cabin. I don't think I ever actually took you guys there, but when Jimmy and Jan Pott and Terry came, I think we went. And a few other times as well.
I had completely forgotten those elk!

Anonymous said...

OMG! Sa-- I mean, Aunt Sassy looks like such a NERD.

In a good way, of course.
xoxox

Anonymous said...

Um, I don't see any photos of your awkward, ABBA loving, vest wearing, Geography Bee trophy carrying pre-teen years posted on the web, Mr. Nay-Nay. Embrace it!

And for the record, I was (am?) a dork, not a nerd. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, ABBA is really, really cool. And I looked hawt in vests. And it was the Citizen Bee, not the Geography Bee. Get it right, dork.

Related Posts with Thumbnails