Monday, August 27, 2007

Dog days


The U.S. has seen an odd summer, weather-wise. We've seen rain, floods, drought, record highs, and record lows. Our neck of the woods received rainfall equal to its annual average by mid-June. But by August we seemed to be back to our regularly-scheduled 100°F days, although we got a break from the heat for a few days last week. Little Omi and I have been enjoying splashing in the blow-up kiddie pool on our new patio in the backyard. She's crazy about the water. When I ask her if it's time to go inside, she giggles and shakes her head vigorously. I can tell our swimming days are numbered, though. I keep finding dead or dying cicadas, and their evening cries of "cree-ee-ee-ee-eeee" are starting to sound so frantic, as if they're saying "must...mate...NOW!" While I do love autumn and all its glorious colors, holidays, and back-to-school fashions, I always want to hang on to the last days of summer, no matter how hot the weather. I will miss the overall lushness of this summer, the sheer opulence of green and the heavy, humid air. Until then, I resolve to spend as many afternoons in the kiddie pool as possible, splashing and laughing with Little Omi, and shaking my head to say "just a little longer."

1 comment:

Cherryskin said...

That pic is just darling!! Captures that squidgy short-limbed toddlerness perfectly! (At three-and-a-half years, and seven months, my two girls are on either side of it.)
Ah, summer.....I love it too. We've just entered spring, and I am very much looking forward to exactly the same things which you are savouring.

Related Posts with Thumbnails